Feeding Tips for Pets on Diet
If you’re changing your pet’s food to Hill’s Prescription Diet recommended for weight loss we recommend the following:
- Introduce the new food gradually. Over a 7 day period, mix your pet’s previous food with increasing proportions of the new food, until only the new food is being fed. Any sudden or drastic change in food can result in refusal to eat and tummy upsets.
- Ensure that you stick to the recommended daily allowance of food as directed by your vet. It helps to weigh and divide the daily allowance into several meals for the most efficient weight loss, at the beginning of the day, to avoid accidental overfeeding. Just a few extra kibbles can make a difference.
- If you have other pets that are not on the Slimmer Programme it is best to feed them separately. Cats can be particularly difficult especially if they’re used to free feeding but we have two ideas to share:
- Make an entrance in a cardboard box which you then place over the food. In that way only the thinner cat was able to fit through!
- Place your other cat’s food up on a higher level that would take too much effort on the Slimmer’s part to get to.